Thursday 9 February 2012

Spring Cleaning...

Do you waste time every morning wondering what to wear? Is your wardrobe a minefield? Still picking up that sweater that you bought in the sale and wore for a few hours three years ago?
It's time to be brave, stop procrastinating and get rid of the clutter!
A few hours spent sifting through your fashion mistakes will save you hours of decision making in the long run and that daily 'I don't know what to wear' routine could be relegated to the past. 
It's time for a capsule wardrobe!!


While we are all still in college we still need to have those comfortable clothes you can wear while nursing a hangover like hoodies! And the heavenly Ugg boots (which really are just glorified slippers and will probably horrify generations to come) but which we still need for those days when we just cant be bothered and we need a bit of comfort for those long library study sessions!


By now most people will have figured out their own personal style, so everyones capsule wardrobe will be interpreted differently.
Knowing your style and sticking to it is key when developing your wardrobe.


For example, I prefer to keep it simple with clothes that have a lot of structure for the most part and simple block colours. I dont like to have two many colours or textures going on in an outfit at once, as I think its harder to appreciate the individual pieces then - I would always prefer simple over busy.
There are those people who wear the latest trends no matter what - these people are usually either minted or work in high street clothing stores. 


I will never  be one of those people because number one I don't have the time or money to keep up with such cutting edge trends and number two sometimes these trends can be a bit unattractive.
But I do like to keep my style original by incorporating the latest trends and putting my own stamp on my style. I find this is quite easy to do with shoes and accessories or even one piece that you can combine easily with your core wardrobe. This way your not stuck with a lot of clothes you wont wear again when next season comes around.



So I guess I would be a big fan of the capsule wardrobe as it encompasses the principal "Quality over Quantity". I prefer investing in some good pieces rather then doing a weekly bargain hunt! Event though I do enjoy a good root in pennies now and then!
Essentially, you need to make sure you have some good classic basics that fit well and transcend fashion trends, and only then can you start picking up extra bits like trendy tops etc, to build on it.


Its very important to only choose things that suit your shape. Never buy anything that you dont really love as you wont end up wearing it!
For example there is no point buying a new dress that looks average on you for a party, if you have a dress at home that you have worn before but looks fabulous on you! Always go for looking fabulous! ;)




A capsule wardrobe may be hard to achieve for people who love wearing pattered clothes as recognizable patterns limit the amount of times you can wear things, so try and keep patterned clothing to a minimum! 


Guidlines
1. Only buy clothing that fits well and that you love on you
2. Don't buy anything really trendy if its very expensive
3. Buy good quality clothes
4. If you have a dress at home that you love and you want to make it look different - accessorise it!
5. Dont buy anything for the sake of buying something new!
6. Dont buy it if you cant think of at least three instances in which you will wear it
7. If your unsure about something, think about it over night


As we are all venturing out into the world of work soon, its time to get our wardrobes up to scratch ( and make room for all the clothes we will be buying when were  minted marketing professionals!!)


Be harsh - if you havent worn it for two years then throw it away!!
If your like me and tend to spend quite a lot on things like dresses and coats, and throwing them away is like throwing away your children, then have a swap night!!
Gather together a group of your friends and everyone bring some clothes they dont want anymore.
Everyone goes home with something new and gets rid of their old clothes! :) Win win!!


So get started and declutter!! It will save you hours of decision making! :)



6 comments:

  1. I seriously need to declutter... The one good thing is you find some gems you lost and completely forgot about :) love the blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last summer when I was coming home from America I did a serious de-clutter(mostly because I couldn't afford bring 5 suitcases home with me!). I threw away 4 refuse bags - very proud of myself though. Totally agree, its so much better to spend more on a few simple pieces that you can wear throughout the year!.... A really good LBD is essential too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to take your advice, and only buy a few good things. I tend to buy a lot of useless crap and then mixed with my inability to throw stuff out leads to an overflowing wardrobe. Yiikes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really need to follow your advice buy some essential things, I'm such a hoarder tho find it so hard to throw stuff out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have wardrobes upon wardrobes of clothes that I haven't worn in years! Half them don't even fit anymore but I have some weird issues about parting with clothes ha!
    I always think that some occasion will arise that I will need them for! After reading your blog and realising that this 'occasion' has never occurred, I think I need to take your advice and do a bit spring clean!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really need to do a bit of a spring clean... i still have clothes from first year! of school!!

    ReplyDelete